With its rich seafaring history and central position on the Gulf Coast, the City of Mobile, Alabama provides an ideal location for a maritime museum of national significance. Located within one-days drive from virtually every Gulf Coast metro area, GulfQuest will be well-positioned to serve the needs of coastal residents and visitors.
And no region is more deserving than the Gulf of Mexico and its environs. The ninth largest body of water in the world, the Gulf of Mexico encompasses over 600,000 square miles of ocean basin, and provides invaluable national resources:
- Essential fisheries and wildlife habitats
- Attractive beaches and maritime recreation
- Seven of the nations top 10 shipping ports
- Four of the nations top 7 fishing ports
- Ninety percent of the nations oil/gas production
With its bays and rivers, marshlands and deltas, islands and peninsulas and, above all, its sea-worthy and resilient people, the Gulf of Mexico has played and will continue to play a vital role in our nations past, present and future.