Visitor Service & Sales Representative
JOB STATUS: Part-Time Sales
REPORTS TO: Manager on Duty
POSTED TO: 2017-02-15
- Exhibit an intellectual curiosity and professional passion for GulfQuest, its exhibits and programs, and its mission "to inspire people of all ages and backgrounds to understand and appreciate the Gulf Coast's rich maritime heritage through exhibits, programs and activities."
- Ensure a positive experience for GulfQuest visitors by serving as an ambassador during all work-related activities for the museum, providing information, services and support whenever possible.
- Interact effectively with other staff members in a manner that establishes and supports a collaborative work environment marked by a high level of team satisfaction, productivity and success.
- With an upbeat and welcoming personality assist and direct visitors throughout the museum.
- When greeting visitors determine their needs and give recommendations by providing information on products, merchandise and sales
- Obtain demographic information from visitor to enter into the point-of-sale machine for marketing
- Operate point-of-sale system to sell admission tickets and store merchandise. Process payments by totaling purchases; processing checks, cash, and/or credit cards; quickly and accurately make change for cash transactions and have the ability to operate credit card authorization system
- Balance cash drawer by counting cash at beginning and end of work shift
- Coordinate welcome of tour groups and school groups
- Be familiar with all current museum functions and programs including public programs, special events, volunteering opportunities and educational programs
- Speak knowledgably about store merchandise, permanent and traveling exhibits
- Review daily assignment and schedule of events with Manager on duty prior to beginning their shift
- Alert security personnel as needed to assure a safe environment for visitors
- Neatly maintain counter, merchandise displays and replenish stock when necessary
- Other duties and activities assigned by the Manager on duty
Requirements / Qualifications
- High school Graduate/GED, Trade or College Degree
- 1+ years cash handling environment
- 1+ years of work experience using a computerized point of sale system
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and active listening skills
- Ability to be friendly in communicating and relate effectively with individuals of diverse ages, talents, and backgrounds
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment
- Self-motivated, proactive approach to problem-solving
- Saturday / Week Day / Holiday hours required
The position requires a strong work ethic and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team. The job requires a considerable amount of time standing or sitting (often for several hours straight) and communicating in person, through email and by phone. The work requires the ability to multi-task with a considerable degree of accuracy and exactness and the ability to address multiple projects simultaneously (and handle the accompanying stress). Regular/predictable attendance is critical. Appropriate attire is required. At times, lifting 25 pounds unassisted (and 50 pounds assisted) will be necessary.
GulfQuest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Back to Careers